“Did you guys find homes for all those cats and dogs from the hurricanes?”
That’s a question that we hear every day at your Rancho Coastal Humane Society. Guests, callers, and people who follow us through e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram all want to know what happened to the pets who arrived at RCHS on Wings of Rescue flights after Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
- The first flight, in August, carried 105 dogs and cats.
- A flight during the first week of September arrived with 130 pets.
- The third flight landed in San Diego with 40 pets.
Out of the 70 cats and dogs who came to RCHS, all but 5 are adopted. (That number might be even less as you’re reading this.)
The Hurricane Hounds and Cats helped contribute to an all-time Rancho Coastal Humane Society adoption record during September.
These pets were already in shelters and available for adoption before the hurricanes. They don’t have families looking for them. They came to San Diego to create space in Louisiana and Texas shelters for the pets who were lost, strayed, or abandoned because of the storms. Every cat and dog on a Wings of Rescue flight counts for two lives saved. That pet escaped, and it created space for the next one who came in.
- Thank You to the volunteers who were there with us at the airport then spent time with the pets until they were adopted.
- Thank you to everyone who adopted one of these pets.
- Thank you to everyone who made donations to help cover the medical costs for these new arrivals. We’re still trying to recover from that and taking donations.
Now we’re hearing that there could possibly be more on the way. The shelters are packed full of pets whose families have not claimed them…and there are still more coming in. If they can’t find a way to create more space, they might have to take drastic action.
So, we’re getting ready in case we get the opportunity to save more lives.
Please tell us how you want to help. Call 760-753-6413, visit Rancho Coastal Humane Society at 389 Requeza Street in Encinitas, log on to SDpets.org, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Kennels and Cattery open 11 AM to 5 PM every day but Tuesday.