Children ranging from ages 6-12 will have the opportunity to read to our adoptable dogs, cats and rabbits. The program is designed to help our adoptable animals to become more comfortable with children because there is no forced interaction. Children sit outside the kennel or cage and read quietly to our animals. Reading out loud has an overall calming effect for our dogs, cats and rabbits as well. The program also benefits your child! Children who read aloud to dogs for 10 to 15 minutes per week experienced a 12% increase in reading proficiency. In a study, children reported feeling “self-conscious, clumsy, and uncomfortable” when reading out loud. But when they read in the presence of a dog, the same children reported feelings of “happiness and safety.” (University of California Davis study.) Children will build compassion for animals one story at a time.
When: Friday, February 22
Friday, March 22
Friday, April 26
Friday, May 24
Friday, June 14
Time: 4:00-4:30 Orientation
4:30-5:00 Reading Time
Cost: $5.00 per child
Important Information Please Read:
- Limit of 8 children per session.
- Children must be supervised by parent at all times.
- Closed-toed, rubber-soled shoes are required
- There is a one-time Orientation that everyone must attend before your child can read to our animals. Please be sure to arrive on time as anyone arriving after the Orientation has started will have to wait until 4:30 for the next Orientation and will not have the opportunity to read to the animals that session.
- Once you have completed the Orientation, you are welcome to read to the animals as early as 4:00 and will not be required to attend the Orientation again.
- Your child can bring his or her favorite book to read to our animals or they are welcome to borrow a book from our small library. You also can bring your own pillow, blanket or towel to sit on; otherwise, we will provide your child with a carpet square.
- Cancellations: Please notify us via email: [email protected] or 760-753-6413 at least one week/seven days prior to your scheduled session if you need to cancel or reschedule. You can be moved to an upcoming open session. We are unable to accommodate changes requested seven days or less from the start of a scheduled session and no refund will be given.