Local wildlife is getting a second chance now that the San Diego Wildlife Center operated by your Rancho Coastal Humane Society is open at 2380 Camino Vida Roble, Unit G in Carlsbad.
“This is how we began and this is once again part of our future,” says RCHS President Jim Silveira. “When RCHS opened in 1960 this area was home to lots of wildlife. When wildlife was injured or orphaned, it came to RCHS. The San Diego Wildlife Center will once again be a refuge for local wildlife.”
SDWC Director Trish Jackman says, “We’re open for business and ready to save lives. We held an open house for the public last weekend. Now that we’ll begin accepting animals, the hospital and recovery areas are no longer accessible to the public. ”
Jackman says that SDWC is now accepting song birds, shore birds, and squirrels. “We’ll also be working to educate the public about the care and safety of the wildlife in their neighborhoods. One of the questions we’ll be hearing a lot during this time of year is what to do about babies who seem to be abandoned. In some cases, the parents are nearby keeping a watchful eye. In other cases, the babies need help. These are calls that can save lives.”
- To show support for local wildlife and the environment visit the new SDWC website at https://sdwildlife.org/
- “Like” SDWC on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/SDWildlifeCenter/
- View a video tour of the SDWC on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG9HytEGFFA
- Check out a new edition of “Wildlife Wednesday” each week on your Rancho Coastal Humane Society Facebook page for information and updates about wildlife right in your own backyard.
- Learn about volunteer opportunities at the San Diego Wildlife Center.
For more information visit the San Diego Wildlife Center at 2380 Camino Vida Roble, Unit G, in Carlsbad or call 760-621-6888.
Silveira says, “We’re asking wildlife lovers to make donations to help pay for medical treatment and recovery for the wildlife being cared for at SDWC. Whether it’s house pets or wildlife, at your Rancho Coastal Humane Society we believe that Every Animal Deserves a Tomorrow.” ®