Rancho Coastal is now offering a hands-on opportunity for teens who want to help homeless animals and earn service hours for school or an organization. This is a great way to gain responsibility while learning about animal care!
We are looking for teens and their families who care about animals and would be willing and able to foster pets in their home. The average length of time for each foster assignment is four to six weeks. (Fosters commit to a four-week minimum unless a shorter foster stay is arranged ahead of time with our foster coordinator).
The Teen Foster Program is open to teens who meet these requirements:
- Care about and want to help animals
- At least 15yrs old
- Parent approved as an RCHS foster, who is willing to oversee and help teen care for foster pet(s)
- Training required by RCHS for certain types of fosters (young puppies/kittens, medical cases)
- Must have reliable transportation to RCHS for vet appointments or meetings with the foster coordinator.
Total hours of community service received per type of foster:
- Litter of neonates (0-8 weeks old): 25 hours/week
- Litter of non-bottle babies (5 weeks – 6 months): 20 hours/week
- Medical or behavior foster: 15 hours/week
- All other fosters (1-2 animals, 6+months old, includes minor medical): 10 hours/week
- *we will round to the nearest week, if partial week.
How to get started:
- Parent and teen fills out our foster application (be sure to mention the Teen Foster Program!)
- Once approved parent and teen must attend Foster Orientation along with any other special training required before handling a foster assignment.
- Upon completion, hours will be signed off by the Foster Coordinator.
Teen must complete:
- Daily log of weights, feedings, observations, etc.
- Attend follow up/vet appointments
- Create animal(s) bio at the end of each assignment
By filling out the application and attending orientation does not guarantee a foster assignment. Foster homes are on an as-needed basis and availability of foster animals varies.
For more information e-mail [email protected]
Link to download the Teen Foster Application: Teen Foster Application.pdf