This special program helps improve a child’s reading proficiency, fosters compassion for animals, and sooths our shelter animals one story at a time. Children sit outside the kennel or cage front and read aloud, which provides a safe interaction for both. We find it helps our animals get used to children, while boosting the reader’s confidence.
Ages: 6-12 years
Cost: $5.00 per child
Time: 4:00 PM–5:00 PM
November 15 FULL
December 13 (1 SPOT LEFT)
Please Read Important Information:
- Limit of 8 children per session.
- Children must be supervised by parent at all times.
- Closed-toed, rubber-soled shoes are required.
- There is a one-time orientation that everyone must attend before your child can read to our animals. Please be sure to arrive on time as anyone arriving after the orientation has started will have to wait until 4:30 for the next orientation and will not have the opportunity to read to the animals that session.
- Once you have completed orientation, you are welcome to read to the animals as early as 4:00 PM and will not be required to attend the orientation again.
- Your child can bring his or her favorite book to read or they are welcome to borrow a book from our library. You can bring your own pillow, blanket or towel to sit on; otherwise, we will provide your child with a carpet square.
Cancellations: Please notify us via email: email@example.com or 760-753-6413 at least one week/seven days prior to your scheduled session if you need to cancel or reschedule. You can be moved to an upcoming open session. We are unable to accommodate changes requested seven days or less from the start of a scheduled session and no refund will be given.