By Appointment Only
Rancho Coastal Humane Society (RCHS) remains temporarily closed to the general public, but we have companion animals in our care that are ready for adoption, and our staff is ready to make that happen!
We are starting Adoptions by Appointment ONLY.
We are accepting adoption applications via email ONLY.
Be sure to reference “Dog Adoption,” “Cat Adoption” or “Rabbit Adoption” in the email header. You will receive a “Survey Received” confirmation email.
If you have already submitted a completed Survey, please send an email to Adoptions@sdpets.org, indicating that you are still interested in adopting. Be sure to include your full name and approximate date of submission. You will receive an email response within 24-48 hours, indicating either: a) your completed Survey has been forwarded to an Adoption Counselor for review; or b) you will need to resubmit a completed Survey to start the process.
All completed Surveys will be forwarded to Adoption Counselors for review.
- Initial Interviews will be conducted by telephone by an Adoption Counselor. We will only make two (2) call attempts.
- Due to limited staffing and the number of appointment slots available, you may not be contacted by telephone.
If the initial interview suggests a “good fit,” an appointment to meet your desired pet will be made. All adoptions are on a first-come, first-served basis. Appointments will be confirmed by an “Appointment Confirmation” email. If your desired pet is in foster care, we will need to coordinate the appointment with the foster volunteer first.
Some animals have been in foster care. They may be adopted by fosters, who have priority. If you do not see a pet on the website that you have been following, you may find the picture in Recent Adoptions. Or, a pet that you have been following may not be available for adoption at this time.
How to get ready for an appointment for a dog interaction:
- Buildings as well as restrooms are closed to the public.
- All required family members and any resident dog(s) must be present.
- All participants must bring and wear face masks at all times.
- Written landlord approval may be required.
- Payment will be by credit card or debit card ONLY.
There will be no onsite cat interactions. Curbside pickup will be scheduled by the Front Desk.
Rabbit interactions will be conducted on a case-by-case basis.
Animals are assigned to color categories using any previous owner notes, general handling, as well as staff and volunteer observations.
As we continue to get to know them and gather further insights into their personalities, colors may be adjusted accordingly. VIEW DETAILS HERE
Special Fee Programs
Ask your adoption counselor about this special fee programs.
- Better with a Buddy – Adopt one cat, kitten, or dog and get the second one (within a year) for just $25. Does not apply to puppies.
- Two Purr One – Adopt two kittens together (within two weeks) and pay for just one.
- Senior-to-Senior – Any senior (60+) adopting a senior animal (7+) will have the adoption fee waived.
- Pets for Patriots – Fees waived for San Diego veterans. To qualify, please apply before visiting the shelter. CLICK HERE
|Puppies||$195 +$50 (training deposit)|
|Senior Pets (7+)||$75|
The adoption fee includes:
- Up to date on vaccinations
- Spay or Neuter
- Deworming medication
- Flea control medication
- Microchip and registration
These items purchased through a veterinarian would cost more than $250!