Thrift Shop Manager – Full Time
Position: Thrift Shop Manager
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: President/CEO
Salary: Based on Experience, up to $55,000/year
About Rancho Coastal Humane Society (RCHS): RCHS is a charitable non-profit organization whose mission is to provide adoption services for homeless companion animals, humane education programs for children, and food, shelter and comfort for pets of owners in crisis. RCHS operates a Thrift Shop that supports the shelter and focuses community awareness on the importance of human-animal bonding.
Job Description: The Thrift Shop Manager provides supervision, oversight and management of the overall operations of this 7-day/week retail business in order to generate revenues to support RCHS’s programs. The Manager is responsible for training and managing staff and volunteers, overseeing sales, directing and assisting in the processing of donations, sorting, pricing, internal fiscal and security controls, and stocking the floor daily with donated merchandise.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees compliance of employees and volunteers with all established policies and procedures, including handling of cash and safekeeping of RCHS property, inventory control, personnel practices, security and theft-prevention, and all recording-keeping processes. The Manager is expected to develop written polices and procedures as needed.
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises and terminates, develops goals and objectives, promotes professional development, provides performance review and other personnel-related guidance of all Thrift Shop employees. The Manager is expected to cultivate a healthy work environment.
- Oversees, directs and assists a team of volunteers in daily operations, including receiving, sorting, cleaning, organizing, pricing and displaying items for sale, picking up donations. The Manager is expected to plan work schedules to ensure proper distribution of assignments, adequate staffing and opportunities for cross-training and significant volunteer involvement.
- Oversees the display of merchandise to enhance the appearance and appeal of the shopping experience. The Manager is expected to promote excellence in the customer service experience for all visitors to the Thrift Shop.
- Maintains accurate inventory and sales records, donation receipts, files, forms, statistics, payroll and other relevant data, complies and submits monthly statistics and financial reports. The Manager is expected to prepare written reports for submission to the RCHS Board of Directors.
- Ensures safe working conditions for employees, volunteers and customers in accordance with all local, state and federal rules regulations, provides safety training on an ongoing basis, and collaborates with HR on all workplace training programs.
- Assists the President/CEO in exercising control over budget by planning and prioritizing spending, analyzing sales and current inventory, providing projections and recommendations to retain customers, increase donation resources and generate additional revenues.
- Participates in shelter management meetings, proposing Thrift Shop activities that align with the shelter mission, fundraising events and other development opportunities.
- Works closely with RCHS’s maintenance superintendent to ensure necessary maintenance and repairs to the Shop facilities and systems.
- Assists in the marketing, identification, development and solicitations to receive used or discontinued items from businesses.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS – EDUCATION, SKILL, EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma/GED required. Associate or Bachelor’s degree in business management, merchandizing management preferred.
- Thrift Shop management experience required.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience required.
- Experience overseeing volunteers required.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule with availability to work weekends, evenings and holidays, as needed.
- Knowledge of retail/resale budget management, bookkeeping and projections.
- Must demonstrate excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate a positive and caring attitude; be customer-oriented in a professional, welcoming and efficient manner; value and respect others; be reliable and responsible; and demonstrate ethical behavior, good judgment and sound decision-making skills.
- Must possess strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple concurrent projects, prioritizing work according to needs or management directives, delegating tasks when feasible and maintaining a work pace appropriate to the workload with a positive, solution-oriented approach.
- Proficient in MS Windows operation system, MS Office, database programs, email and internet usage, with knowledge of POS software and equipment necessary.
- A valid California driver’s license with current automobile insurance and a clean driving record.
- Ability to stand 6-8 hours/day with frequent computer and cash register entries; walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing, ability to lift and carry items up to 30 pounds.
- Must not be allergic to dogs or cats, who are welcome on leash in the Shop or arrive as adoptable pets to support a shelter activity onsite.
TO APPLY: Write a brief paragraph telling us why you feel you are the best candidate for this position. Send this along with your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Thrift Shop Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls or walk-in applicants please. We appreciate your interest in this position; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Rancho Coastal Humane Society does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, protected veteran’s status, on the basis of age against persons who are forty years of age or over, or on the basis of any other legally impermissible reason.